Examples of Good Design Objects
This is an object we use in our daily life. We can also easily conclude about what is this for. And we all know it was designed to help us eating. In fact, the fork was invented hundreds years ago but it was only on the 11th century that it was brought to Central Europe by two Byzantine princesses. Sadly, this object caused an enormous controversy and was banned for over more than two hundred years.
I consider forks a well-designed object for the following reasons:
- It is simply understood – “How is the product supposed to be used?”
- In the Western world it’s an essential object that is part of people’s daily lives.
- The fact that it is made of stainless steel gives rigidity and does not break; There are also forks made of plastic or silver.
- The four tines of the fork are made to support the food not allowing it to fall.
- The handle has the ideal measures to facilitate its handling.
- It provides the user a good experience when using it.
According to Don Norman, author of the book “The Design of Everyday Things”, there are some essential aspects that comprises to an object a good design: “Good design requires, among other things, good communication of the purpose, structure, and operation of the device to the people who use it.” (Norman, 2013, p.14)
Another object that I consider relevant in the design world are the eyeglasses. This object first came as a medical device and when introduced in the market it provided a better vision to thousands of people. However, it was only after the industrial revolution that it become more accessible to people. And as we can see nowadays it is not only a vision device but it turned also into a fashion accessory.
I consider glasses a well-designed object for the following reasons:
- Its design has achieved anatomic perfection since the beginning of the 20th century.
- Their basic design has not changed too much.
- They are “hands free”. The fact that the cable temples are slightly curved at the end allows the glasses not to fall of the head.
- There are several types of lenses that can suit every type of needs.
- The nosepad that easily allows to fit in the nose.
- It can be made of rigid plastics, metal or wood.
- It is comfortable.
- The glasses don’t change the person’s aspect and usually it fits well.
The watch I believe it’s another good invention and example of good design. More specifically the wristwatch. This object came to substitute the pocket watch and it started to be a fashion trend in Europe in the beginning of the 20th century. As The New York Times said at the time “Europeans were starting to wear bracelets with clocks on them.”
Here are some reasons why watches are a well-designed object:
- It was designed to time control.
- The bracelet allows to reach the watch whenever needed.
- Watches are harder to loose or break.
- Promotes the capacity of being on time.
- They have a strong functional aspect and an incredible autonomy.
- The design is simple and it hasn’t yet been replaced by any other objects.
- It has great durability.
- It is comfortable.
To conclude this post I would like to leave these quotes from the designer Katerina Kamprani (I recommend you to watch her TedTalk on Youtube) that say:
“Comfort is better perceived when absent.”
“Good design is 99% invisible.”Katerina Kamprani