Another object that I consider relevant in the design world are the eyeglasses. This object first came as a medical device and when introduced in the market it provided a better vision to thousands of people. However, it was only after the industrial revolution that it become more accessible to people. And as we can see nowadays it is not only a vision device but it turned also into a fashion accessory.
I consider glasses a well-designed object for the following reasons:
- Its design has achieved anatomic perfection since the beginning of the 20th century.
- Their basic design has not changed too much.
- They are "hands free". The fact that the cable temples are slightly curved at the end allows the glasses not to fall of the head.
- There are several types of lenses that can suit every type of needs.
- The nosepad that easily allows to fit in the nose.
- It can be made of rigid plastics, metal or wood.
- It is comfortable.
- The glasses don’t change the person’s aspect and usually it fits well.